Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 41 (9/3/2011): Zoetzuur Flemish Ale by De Proef Brouwerij

 (Sorry folks; no picture for this one. I can't seem to find my camera at the moment and it contains all of the pictures for this review.)


As you may be able to tell from the blog, I've been on a sour kick ever since I was sent a set of Russian River wild ales. I had never heard of this one, but it was a Flanders red and I figured it would be tart enough to hit the spot.

It pours a hazy red-brown with a good sized off-white head. It has nice lacing as splotches of the head stick to the side of the glass. There is a lot going on with the smell. There is a ton of funk from the Brett, a great deal of cherries, some sweetness and spices, and an odd mustiness. It doesn't smell particularly sour at all. This is probably the "funkiest" beer I've ever smelled before. Almost overwhelming.

The taste is a little tart, but not sour at all. The tartness seems like it's from the cherries and not a wild yeast strain. The spiciness in the nose shows up here as well. There is also a strange aftertaste that I can't put my finger on, possibly Brett-related. I can't say this one tasted like I expected; not particularly sour and barely tart. It's not really my thing at all. It has a medium body with medium-low carbonation.

I am definitely disappointed in the lack of sourness. It is super funky and musty, which doesn't go well with the sweetness, in my opinion. I wish I could put my finger on the aftertaste; I definitely did not care for it, but I have no idea what it was.This one wasn't terrible, but was weird. I probably won't return to it in the future. I give Zoetzuur Flemish Ale by De Proef Brouwerij a B-.

Style: Flanders red ale
ABV: 7%
IBU: ?
Beer Advocate: A-
Ratebeer: 98/82

Picked up at Market Wines at Findlay Market for $10 or so for a 750ml bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment