Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 37 (8/30/2011) Tallgrass Oasis by Tallgrass Brewing Company

(Excuse the blurriness. Not entirely sure what happened there.)

Oasis is a beer with an identity crisis. Not that this is necessarily bad or anything. It just makes it difficult to rate. Tallgrass admits this, calling the beer a double IPA/ESB. Since I'm not entirely sure what a characteristics a double ESB would have, so I decided to review it as a double IPA.

It pours a dark amber, definitely darker than most double IPAs, with a voluminous off-white head. Had to let it settle down a bit before I topped off the glass. It has a good citrus hop odor, but is balanced well with a substantial earthy caramel maltiness. The taste follows the nose, a good balance of hop bitterness and malt sweetness. It's not particularly complex and isn't going to blow anyone away, but it is tasty. Medium carbonation and body; nothing too surprising here.

I give Tallgrass Oasis by Tallgrass Brewing Company a solid B. I'm not sure what this beer is, but it is good. I'm not sure I would pick up a six pack over the alternatives, but if the price is right I would at least consider it. It's balanced and unoffensive and therefore is not going to change anyone's worldviews on beer, but sometimes you just want something you can put back without giving it a lot of thought.




Style: Double ESB/IPA
ABV: 7.2%
IBU: 93
Beer Advocate: B+
Ratebeer: 93/99

Received from a generous Beer Advocate from Kansas City. I believe this is available in Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment